Some of the historical inaccuracies in the series:
- Roberto Escobar is completely absent from the story. 
- Steve Murphy only arrived in Colombia in 1991. 
- The characters of Cockroach and Lion are completely made-up.
- Horacio Carrillo was not a real person. He was based off on Hugo Martinez, who takes the role of Carrillo in the series following the former's death.
- La Quica's real name is Dadeny Muñoz Mosquera, and not Juan Diego Diaz. He was arrested on September 25, 1991 in New York City for travelling with a fake passport.
- Navegante's real name is Cesar Yusti, and not Jorge Velazquez.
- Ricardo Prisco died in 1991, and was not alive when Pablo escaped the prison. It was Ricardo's brother Conrado Prisco who was the personal physician of Pablo Escobar. Escobar had Conrado killed.
- Pablo did not spend his last days with his father.
- Javier Peña did not oversee the investigation of the Cali Cartel.
- Miguel Rodriguez Orejuela's son was named William, and William only entered the trafficking business a few years after his father's arrest.
- Navegante wasn't killed by Jorge Salcedo, according to both Salcedo himself and Chris Feistl, but it is confirmed that Navegante died on the same day Pallomari was found by the DEA. 
- It wasn't Peña, but another DEA agent named Joe Toft who revealed the corruption in Colombia, and called the country a 'narco-democracy'.